Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 40


Turkey Skull, 6 x 6 inch oil on panel
© 2012 Kathleen Coy
SOLD

I found this turkey skull on ebay and thought it would make an excellent still life subject. I love skulls because they remind us of our mortality, as well as reminding us that there is far more to us than what we see as our physical bodies. As an artist, I'm interested in anatomy, and skulls fascinate me for that reason also. I find them incredibly beautiful.

This was a very complex painting, and I really took my time with the drawing and getting the proportions correct. Things like this require my entire focus and become a zen-like experience for me. 

Here is a shot after I had sketched it out with paint thinned with a little odorless mineral spirits, and a shot of the actual skull in the still life box:



I really enjoyed this one. Expect to see this skull show up in more paintings...


No comments:

Post a Comment