Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 124


Platte River Moods, 5 x 7 inch oil on panel
© 2012 Kathleen Coy

The plein air group met at a cabin along the banks of the Platte River last week. The Platte River is a strange beast - it's very shallow, with many little sandbar "islands." It was a beautiful day, but this was the fourth day out of the last eight that I had been plein air painting (two days at the Malvern festival, and two days with the local group), and to be honest, I was feeling pretty burnt out. Plein air is something I like to do once in a while for fun, but it's not my main focus at all. I contemplated staying home, but like I said, it was a beautiful day and I had been looking forward to painting here. 

So I painted long enough to get this study done, went for a hike in the woods, and called it a day. I was just trying to capture the light, and the shapes of the water, and some of the colors I saw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment