Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 177


Cloud Palette Knife Study, 5 x 5 inch oil on panel
© 2012 Kathleen Coy
NFS

I wanted to paint Cloud using only the palette knife. I'm not sure what I think of this painting, to be honest. I like it, but there's just SO much texture everywhere, especially on areas that I want to be smooth, like his eye. I am pleased with the amount of detail I was able to get with the knife on such a small panel (5 x 5 inches, a new size for me. I like it!) I'm going to paint it again and post the new version tomorrow, this time using a combination of brushwork and knife, more along the lines of the self-portrait I posted yesterday, and see which I like better. Stay tuned...

***UPDATE: My friend Sue ChurchGrant made some suggestions about breaking up the large mass of brick red with some blue. I think she was spot on, I'm much happier with it now, the texture on his face isn't so overwhelming. Below is the before:

2 comments:

  1. I think, Kathleen, that you've painted (and studied) Cloud so often, you could 'paint' him with anything! Beautiful, and as always, great job on the expression! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelley! You're right, I could probably paint Cloud in my sleep by now. :-)

      Delete